What have you been up to for the last 9,139 days?
Sure, it was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 40th birthday, and the NBA's all-time leading scorer went out and scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds that night for the Lakers in a win over the Utah Jazz.
Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater was admitted to St. Luke's Hospital in Phoenix that day, but was later released.
The Federal Communications Commission sternly warned U.S. radio stations about the use of indecent language on public airwaves.
It was a pretty regular day, all things considered.
Except for one thing.
On April 16, 1987, the Winnipeg Jets defeated the Calgary Flames 6-1 to win their Smythe Division semifinal series 4 games to 2.
That was the last time the Jets/Phoenix Coyotes won a playoff series.
9,139 days have passed since this franchise has sniffed the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but this year's resilient Coyotes squad has ended a streak that would have made Lou Gehrig shake his head with a convincing 4-0 win over the Chicago Blackhawks Monday night at the United Center in Chicago.
Some random facts about the length of time it's been since a series win for this franchise:
• In that time frame, the Detroit Red Wings have won 36 playoff series and four Stanley Cups. Pittsburgh (25 series wins), New Jersey (22) Colorado/Quebec (20) are next on the list.
• The only other current franchises not to have a series win in that time span are the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Winnipeg Jets/Atlanta Thrashers, who have just two combined playoff appearances in 23 combined years of existence.
• Fourteen different franchises have won the Stanley Cup since 1987, including five (Detroit, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, New Jersey and Colorado) who have won more than one.
In April of 1987:
• Phoenix had one major league sports team -- the Phoenix Suns.
• A gallon of gas cost around 89 cents.
• The average cost of a new car was $10,300. Apparently that was also the production cost of filming a 30- second car spot in '87.
• George Michael still had a career.
• The Cosby Show was the highest-rated television show.
• Married...with Children had been on the air for two weeks.
• The number one movie at U.S. box offices was "The Secret of My Success" starring Michael J. Fox.
• The launch of the world wide web was still three years away.
• Current Coyotes' captain Shane Doan was 10-years-old.
You get the point -- it was a much different planet the last time this franchise moved out of the first round of the playoffs.
And now that the monkey has been forcefully removed from the back of the Coyotes franchise, we can all sit back, reminisce and have a good laugh...while longing for cheap gas once again.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i