Tippett: Concerned about quality shots, not quantity
Look at the facts...
• The Coyotes have been out-shot 451-326 in 12 playoff games.
• Phoenix has been out-shot in ten of those games.
• That's an average of 10.4 per contest.
• On five occasions, the Coyotes have given up more than 40 shots on goal to a postseason opponent.
Of course, another consistent theme in the playoffs has been the outstanding play of Phoenix goalie Mike Smith, who has stopped 94.6% of the shots he's faced. If not for Smith's performance, this Coyotes season would be long forgotten about.
So after a game in which the Los Angeles Kings out-shot his team 48-27, you'd expect head coach Dave Tippett to be concerned.
He is, but not about the sheer numbers, of which he doubts the validity.
"I went through every single shot, every attempt," Tippett said Monday. "I would question some of the numbers, some of the attempts at the net, but I'm not going to get into stats, guys. That's not what I want to do.
"I look at the quality that we gave up last night and we gave up far more quality opportunities. The quantity I can deal with sometimes, but we gave up far too many quality last night."
Tippett also said opponents' shots on goal figures are inflated because of the fact that the Coyotes played five overtime games in their first round series victory over the Chicago Blackhawks.
Phoenix is allowing an average of 37.6 shots on goal per game, far and away the most of any team in the postseason.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i