Coyotes have simple solution for Game 2
Keep the puck.
"They had the puck a lot," defensemen Derek Morris said Tuesday morning. "We gotta find a way to get the puck more and get it down low in their zone and make their D work a little bit more down there. We spent a lot of time in our zone and when you're chasing the whole entire game, it's tough to get the momentum back."
The lack of possession for the Coyotes was evident in the disparity of shots during the game. The Kings outshot the ‘Yotes 48-27. Of course, a bright spot for Phoenix could be the fact that they made it to the conference final despite being outshot in 10 of 12 postseason games, and they've given up 45 or more shots three times, but that's not exactly a recipe for success.
So, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett agrees with the notion that if you have the puck, LA can't score.
"Well I think we have to have better execution with the puck," he said. "There are a lot of times where if our execution was better it allows you to play with the puck a lot more and hence you play defense less."
Right wing Mikkel Boedker said they spent too much time in their own zone and didn't make the Kings work hard enough.
"When we have it we have to keep it; don't give it up like we did," he said. "I thought we gave it away too easy and when we have the puck we gotta play with it and make them chase the game a little bit."
Game two set for Tuesday night at 6pm at Jobing.com Arena.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i