Coyotes' Doan, Morris avoid suspension from NHL
They're heading to Los Angeles for games three and four.
Let's face it, this is a hockey team in need of some good news, and on Wednesday, the Coyotes got some concerning their captain Shane Doan courtesy of NHL discipline chief Brendan Shanahan.
Doan/Lewis: Lewis turns just prior to the check. No SD. yfrog.com/odw6efinj— Brendan Shanahan (@NHLShanahan) May 16, 2012
Doan was called for boarding L.A.'s Trevor Lewis and received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for the play. Phoenix lost Game 2, 4-0.
'No SD' means no supplementary discipline -- Doan will avoid suspension and be on the ice Thursday night at Staples Center as the Coyotes try to dig their way out of a deep hole in the series.
Phoenix defenseman Derek Morris was called for a kneeing penalty on Kings' defenseman Rob Scuderi in the third period Tuesday night. Shanahan had a comment on that as well:
Morris/Scuderi: We agree with the penalty called on the ice yet do not feel this rises to the level of SD.— Brendan Shanahan (@NHLShanahan) May 16, 2012
However, Shanahan is expected to rule later Wednesday on possible supplemental discipline for Coyotes center Martin Hanzal, who also received a boarding major and game misconduct for planting L.A. captain Dustin Brown into the glass during Tuesday's third period.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i