Coyotes once again face elimination at hands of Kings
Win, and they stay alive. Lose, and a magical season comes to an end.
Got the Kings right where they want 'em, right? Not exactly.
"Our backs are against the wall," Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said Tuesday morning. "Still we know we have to play very well if we have a chance to win.
"Coming home, we know there will be lots of excitement in the building."
And therein lies the Coyotes' saving grace heading into its second must-win game in as many tries: they're back at home, where fans have rallied behind this team few saw coming.
"The buzz continues to get better and better," Tippett said. "Obviously this run in the playoffs here has been a lot more excitement. Notice a lot of people that maybe were acquaintances before, but now you have a lot of people that know exactly what's going on."
That's not to say the Coyotes will find extra motivation playing in front of another Whiteout. After all, if the very survival of your season isn't enough to get you to play hard, chances are things aren't going to go your way, no matter what building you're in.
Then figure in the fact that the Kings are undefeated on the road this postseason -- a perfect 7 for 7 thus far -- and you have what may amount to be a home ice disadvantage, if there is such a thing.
But, as Coyotes captain Shane Doan has said, the law of averages would say the Kings are due to drop one away from home.
"Yeah, [we] obviously recognize everything they've done, they've accomplished with winning seven in a row," Doan said Tuesday. "It's going to be difficult; have to find a way to do it."
If they can find a way to do it, beat the Kings and extend this series another game, the Coyotes will get to go through this process all over again.
Doan said while it is big for the team to keep coming up big with their season on the line, he's not worried about any type of let down, not now.
"I don't think that's going to happen on our team," he said. "Our team, pretty confident in our group, expect good things."
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i