Postseason run over; focus turns to ownership
And now, for the fourth straight offseason, the Coyotes and their fans must focus on an uncertain ownership situation.
Former San Jose Sharks CEO Greg Jamison is well into the process of purchasing the franchise from the National Hockey League. But nothing is official, and many hurdles must still be cleared for Jamison to become the team's first traditional owner since Jerry Moyes put the franchise into bankruptcy in May of 2009.
"We're all optimistic that this is going to be resolved, and that Greg Jamison and his group will own this team," general manager Don Maloney said Thursday. "In a couple weeks, we'll have a little more clarity on where we're at."
Head coach Dave Tippett, who just completed his third season on the job, looks forward to a day where things are just "normal."
"It would be nice to go into year-end meetings and have the ability to tell the players we're stable and let's move forward instead of saying 'well, let's see what happens,'" Tippett said with a chuckle.
Captain Shane Doan, one of the few players who has endured the entirety of the ownership uncertainty, has a unique view of the situation. But even after experiencing all the maneuvering behind the scenes, Doan remains optimistic.
"This is the most postive everyone's been about everything," he said Thursday. "I think the run we had has obviously helped and I really hope it gets done.
"I really hope it gets done quickly. Not just for me, but for our organization so that we have the opportunity to keep our group and add to it."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes' GM - Wednesday May 29The GM discusses his contract extension and the futures of head coach Dave Tippett and goaltender Mi
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.