Judge denies Goldwater Institute's temporary restraining order
Judge Katherine Cooper ruled that the Maricopa County Superior Court does not have the authority to block the Council from voting on the $325 million deal, expected to pass by a 4-3 vote.
But Goldwater's not done.
Attorneys for the conservative think-tank are expected to file another challenge on Monday, claiming the city has brokered a backroom deal.
"We absolutely will challenge this vote," said Carrie Ann Sitren, an attorney representing Goldwater.
In court on Friday, Sitren argued that Glendale has ignored their public records request in failing to produce key financial documents in a timely manner.
Among the concealed reports are management performance standards and the annual budget for Jobing.com Arena, Sitren said.
"We are concerned the deal violates the Arizona Constitution's gift clause which regulates tax subsidies for private businesses," Sitren said.
While Judge Cooper didn't grant the restraining order, Goldwater was pleased with her comments in court.
"If the city had complied with orders in the first place, (Judge Cooper) would not have said what she said today," Sitren said. "She was very clear that the city was in contempt of court, violated court orders and if the deal is approved it will be struck down."
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes' GM - Wednesday May 29The GM discusses his contract extension and the futures of head coach Dave Tippett and goaltender Mi
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.