Shane Doan wins Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award
The NHL announced Wednesday that Doan is the recipient of the 2011-12 Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award, which is presented by Bridgestone.
The award was handed out during the 2012 NHL Awards ceremony in Las Vegas, and is meant to recognize the individual who is a "superior leader in hockey and as a contributing member of society."
"I am thrilled to receive the Mark Messier Leadership Award," said Doan in a press release. "Growing up in Alberta, I was a huge fan of Mark Messier and to receive this award from one of the greatest leaders to ever play in the NHL is a tremendous honor."
The award has previously been given to Boston's Zdeno Chara, Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosbey, Calgary's Jarome Iginla, Toronto's Matt Sundin and Detroit's Chris Chelios.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i