Shane Doan offers up a new lockout proposal
A 17-year NHL veteran, Doan has already suffered through one lockout back in 2004-2005, and knows the league's latest work stoppage is headed for a similar fate.
Speaking candidly with Todd Walsh of Fox Sports Arizona this week at the Ice Den in Scottsdale, the face of the Coyotes franchise suggested that if mediation doesn't clear matters up between the owners and NHL Players Association, it might be time to turn to a different party: the general managers.
"On the players side, having the vast majority of players involved helps everyone understand what's going on," Doan told Walsh. "I think it could help to have guys that the players admire on the management side."
As Doan pointed out in the interview, several current general managers have playing experience in the league, including Ken Holland, Dean Lombardi, Paul Holmgren and Mike Gillis.
"These are guys that understand the game and understand nuances of the CBA [collective bargaining agreement] and how it works and how it affects the game," said Doan. "And, I think that it's important to listen to them.
"These are the guys that live it every day. Their job is to live inside the system. They're the guys that have to make the tough decisions and deal with it. I think they'd have the best understanding of the system."
That outlet might be necessary sooner rather than later for the league's players. Thursday, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly issued a statement saying that despite two days of mediation between owners and representatives of the NHLPA, the two sides are still far apart on a new CBA deal.
The NHL lockout has now reached Day 76.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i