'G.I. Joe' commands No. 1 at box office with $41M
LOS ANGELES (AP) - After a nine-month delay, "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" deployed to the top spot at the box office.
The action film starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Bruce Willis and Channing Tatum marched into the No. 1 position at the weekend box office, earning $41.2 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.
The sequel to 2009's "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" was postponed last year to convert the film to 3-D.
"Retaliation" opened Wednesday, which helped to bring its domestic total to $51.7 million.
The animated prehistoric comedy "The Croods" slipped to the No. 2 spot with $26.5 million in its second weekend.
"Tyler Perry's Temptation" opened with $22.3 million at No. 3, while the Stephenie Meyer sci-fi adaptation "The Host" landed at No. 6 in its debut weekend with $11 million.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.