Depardieu to play a Chechen man seeking revenge
GROZNY, Russia (AP) - French actor Gerard Depardieu will star in a drama about a Chechen man who seeks revenge for the killing of his son.
Chechnya, a southern Russian province, has been in the spotlight since it emerged that the suspects in April's Boston marathon bombing are ethnic Chechens.
The predominantly Muslim province was devastated by two separatist wars with Moscow, and its current Kremlin-backed ruler has been widely criticized for human rights violations.
The ruler, Ramzan Kadyrov, has been a gracious host to Depardieu, giving him an expensive apartment in the Chechen capital, Grozny, after the actor got Russian citizenship in January.
Depardieu said Tuesday that the drama, titled "Turquoise," will be directed by French filmmaker Philippe Martinez and will also star British actress Elizabeth Hurley.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.