Depardieu to play a Chechen man seeking revenge
GROZNY, Russia (AP) - French actor Gerard Depardieu will star in a drama about a Chechen man who seeks revenge for the killing of his son.
Chechnya, a southern Russian province, has been in the spotlight since it emerged that the suspects in April's Boston marathon bombing are ethnic Chechens.
The predominantly Muslim province was devastated by two separatist wars with Moscow, and its current Kremlin-backed ruler has been widely criticized for human rights violations.
The ruler, Ramzan Kadyrov, has been a gracious host to Depardieu, giving him an expensive apartment in the Chechen capital, Grozny, after the actor got Russian citizenship in January.
Depardieu said Tuesday that the drama, titled "Turquoise," will be directed by French filmmaker Philippe Martinez and will also star British actress Elizabeth Hurley.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!