Updated Jan 14, 2013 - 3:35 am
Mike Smith: 'We have to be ready from the drop of the puck'
Because of a lockout-shortened season, the Coyotes cannot afford to get off to a sluggish start. After all, they only have 48 games to make an impression.
"Usually, you can kind of creep your way into the season with some exhibition games and a longer camp, but it is what it is," goaltender Mike Smith said Sunday. "We have to be ready from the drop of the puck when the season starts on Saturday."
Phoenix opens on the road next Saturday against former Coyote Ray Whitney and the Dallas Stars, before coming home the following night to host the Chicago Blackhawks at Jobing.com Arena.
With the Coyotes scheduled to play 48 games in a condensed period of time, including seven back-to-back contests, the team recognizes how imperative it is to get the kinks and rust out during their one-week training camp.
"There's going to be a lot of hockey games all wrapped in a short season," said Smith. "There's no excuse for not being ready, because we have had four months to get ready for the season. We're very excited."
While expectations will be elevated this season given the Coyotes' recent run of success, Smith said he and his teammates are just thrilled to be back on the ice playing the game they love.
"There's some energy in the air now that the season's back," said Smith. "Everyone's getting geared up for a short camp and an early start to the season.
"I say early, but really it's been a long time coming."
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?