Updated Jan 14, 2013 - 3:35 am
Mike Smith: 'We have to be ready from the drop of the puck'
Because of a lockout-shortened season, the Coyotes cannot afford to get off to a sluggish start. After all, they only have 48 games to make an impression.
"Usually, you can kind of creep your way into the season with some exhibition games and a longer camp, but it is what it is," goaltender Mike Smith said Sunday. "We have to be ready from the drop of the puck when the season starts on Saturday."
Phoenix opens on the road next Saturday against former Coyote Ray Whitney and the Dallas Stars, before coming home the following night to host the Chicago Blackhawks at Jobing.com Arena.
With the Coyotes scheduled to play 48 games in a condensed period of time, including seven back-to-back contests, the team recognizes how imperative it is to get the kinks and rust out during their one-week training camp.
"There's going to be a lot of hockey games all wrapped in a short season," said Smith. "There's no excuse for not being ready, because we have had four months to get ready for the season. We're very excited."
While expectations will be elevated this season given the Coyotes' recent run of success, Smith said he and his teammates are just thrilled to be back on the ice playing the game they love.
"There's some energy in the air now that the season's back," said Smith. "Everyone's getting geared up for a short camp and an early start to the season.
"I say early, but really it's been a long time coming."
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.