'Yotes Notes: Phoenix Coyotes drop season opener to Dallas Stars
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes loss to Dallas on January 19. Stars 4, Coyotes 3
Radim Vrbata had a strong debut for the Coyotes, scoring two goals and an assist. Phoenix expects a big season out of Vrbata, who is coming off a career-year and appears up to the task from the looks of his impressive start.
The Coyotes took control of the second period, notching two power play goals. Phoenix had a man advantage for 10 out of the period's first 15 minutes.
Dave Tippett's team showed a lot of heart despite the defeat. They peppered the net with 40 shots on goal.
The Coyotes couldn't contain Jaromir Jagr, who had two goals and two assists for the Stars. Jagr is the NHL's active goals, assists and points leader and from his performance on Saturday night, looked every bit as good as he did in his prime.
Martin Hanzal committed a costly turnover late in the third period, resulting in the eventual game-winning goal for the Stars.
The Coyotes defense wasn't quite up to par, failing to get the puck out of the zone on numerous occasions and looking sloppy on the breakout.
Former Coyote Ray Whitney scored a goal against his former team.
Raffi Torres missed the Coyotes opener as part of his suspension from last season's playoff hit on the Blackhawks' Marian Hossa. He has seven more games left to serve.
Coming Up Next:
The Coyotes will play their home opener on Sunday against the Chicago Blackhawks at 8:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i