'Yotes Notes: Johnson earns first career shutout in Coyotes win
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 4-0 win over the Predators on January 28.
The Coyotes put all the pieces together on Monday night with a 4-0 win over the visiting Nashville Predators. Newcomer goalie Chad Johnson recorded his first NHL shutout in his Phoenix debut with 21 saves.
Keith Yandle had a power-play goal and two assists on the night. Nick Johnson, Antoine Vermette and Lauri Korpikoski also scored. It's the Coyotes second win in six games.
Coyotes starting goalie Mike Smith was officially put on the injured reserve list with a groin injury, retroactive to January 23rd. He skated in full gear on Monday for the first time since the injury but did not practice with the team. Smith is eligible to come off the list on Wednesday for the Coyotes' home game against the Oilers but he's not expected to return until at least Friday when they travel to Dallas to play the Stars.
Also on the injury front, Martin Hanzal was a late scratch for the Coyotes on Monday. The 'Yotes have been without Hanzal for the third time in four games with a lower body injury.
• Phoenix had given up an NHL-high 20 goals in its first five games, but the Coyotes have allowed just one total in their two victories.
He Said It:
Head coach Dave Tippett on why he made the switch from Jason LaBarbera to Chad Johnson in goal.
"We're looking for a spark," Tippett said before the game. "We're looking to improve our goals-against. We have to be better in front of our goaltenders. Just thought Johnson might give us a spark. We need a few more saves."
The Coyotes (2-4-0) return to the ice on Wednesday at Jobing.com Arena to host the Edmonton Oilers.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.