'Yotes Notes: Coyotes fall to Stars in shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 4-3 shootout loss to the Stars on February 1.
Forward Martin Hanzal scored twice for the Coyotes in the second period in his return from a lower body injury. His second goal tied the game at three a piece. Hanzal now has five goals on the season.
Coyotes defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson had two assists on the night. He is second on the team in points with seven.
The Coyotes played in their first shootout of the year but were unable to pull off a win. Radim Vrbata recorded the lone Phoenix goal during the shootout.
Jaromir Jagr proved once again to be a thorn in the Coyotes side. He scored the game-winner in the shootout to give the Stars the victory. Jagr had two goals and two assists in Dallas' season opening win over Phoenix.
The Coyotes were 0 of 3 on the power play. Phoenix ranked eighth with a man advantage heading into Friday's contest.
• Mike Smith made his return to the lineup on Friday after missing four games due to a lower body injury. The Coyotes netminder made 21 saves in the loss.
• Raffi Torres served the last game of his 21-game suspension and is expected to return to the ice on Saturday for the Coyotes.
The Coyotes will face the Stars again on Saturday night. The game is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m. MST at Jobing.com Arena.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?