Updated Feb 16, 2013 - 11:44 pm
'Yotes Notes: Coyotes drop Blue Jackets in statement win
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 5-3 win over the Blue Jackets on February 16.
The Coyotes found their scoring touch again after being shutout by Nashville on Thursday. The Coyotes scored five goals on 35 shots and were threatening around Chris Mason's net all evening.
In all, the Coyotes offense looked better. Mason was forced to make several good saves and the team brought a passing chemistry that has been sorely missed. This was especially visible on the Coyotes first goal, when forward Mikkel Boedker drove to the net and, instead of shooting, opted to drop the puck to a wide-open David Moss.
Coyotes defenseman Chris Summers also represented his team well in a bout with Derek MacKenzie in the third period. MacKenzie kept swinging it, but Summers ended it with a quick hit and MacKenzie dropped.
As good as the Coyotes were on offense, they were almost as bad on defense. Goalie Mike Smith allowed three goals on 20 shots, including two on the first three shots he saw. A few simple errors on the blue line were also damaging.
The Coyotes power play has been dismal in the past few games (2-for-21) and Saturday highlighted that, despite the Coyotes scoring one. The Blue Jackets committed several dumb penalties and gave the Coyotes every chance to score, but the puck stayed out of the net all but once. The only shining moment was Martin Hanzal's goal.
• Martin Hanzal had a heck of a night. He posted two goals (both in the third period) and an assist. He has a team-high seven goals on the season.
• Keith Yandle had three assists on the night, including the 150th of his career.
• Veteran Steve Sullivan posted another point against the Blue Jackets. He is now 19-31-50 against Columbus in 49 career games.
The Coyotes will take on the Calgary Flames on Monday, Feb. 18 at Jobing.com Arena. The game is scheduled to start at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?