Updated Feb 20, 2013 - 4:45 pm
Coyotes goalie Mike Smith says team is finding groove
Smith said he entered game one coming off the lockout against the Dallas Stars feeling prepped and ready to go.
And then the puck dropped.
"I thought I was ready until I let in 10 goals in the first two games," Smith laughed as he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "Then it was pretty adamant that I wasn't ready, (but) I feel like I've came a long way since then."
Come a long way he has, as Smith has had three shutouts in the past eight games. One of those shutouts came on Monday night against the Calgary Flames, as the Coyotes won big 4-0 at Jobing.com Arena.
Smith said the team is finally playing their way of hockey: "The consistency aspect of playing the right way."
"We got away from that a little bit at the start of the season, (and) we weren't clicking on all cylinders as our team has done in the past," Smith said. "We win the right way, and that's getting contributions from everyone throughout the whole lineup. We find ways to get great minutes from our third and fourth line players. We have great depth throughout our organization and that's what made us successful in the past."
Smith gave credit to the teams that came out of the lockout already playing great hockey, but says there's a key difference between those teams and the Coyotes.
"The teams that did well early in the season ... are the teams that have really high skilled players," Smith said. "Not that we don't ... (but) the lockout didn't hurt those guys as much as it did with the teams that rely on their whole nucleus of players.
"I really believe we have come a long way."
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?