Updated Feb 20, 2013 - 4:45 pm
Coyotes goalie Mike Smith says team is finding groove
Smith said he entered game one coming off the lockout against the Dallas Stars feeling prepped and ready to go.
And then the puck dropped.
"I thought I was ready until I let in 10 goals in the first two games," Smith laughed as he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. "Then it was pretty adamant that I wasn't ready, (but) I feel like I've came a long way since then."
Come a long way he has, as Smith has had three shutouts in the past eight games. One of those shutouts came on Monday night against the Calgary Flames, as the Coyotes won big 4-0 at Jobing.com Arena.
Smith said the team is finally playing their way of hockey: "The consistency aspect of playing the right way."
"We got away from that a little bit at the start of the season, (and) we weren't clicking on all cylinders as our team has done in the past," Smith said. "We win the right way, and that's getting contributions from everyone throughout the whole lineup. We find ways to get great minutes from our third and fourth line players. We have great depth throughout our organization and that's what made us successful in the past."
Smith gave credit to the teams that came out of the lockout already playing great hockey, but says there's a key difference between those teams and the Coyotes.
"The teams that did well early in the season ... are the teams that have really high skilled players," Smith said. "Not that we don't ... (but) the lockout didn't hurt those guys as much as it did with the teams that rely on their whole nucleus of players.
"I really believe we have come a long way."
- Three multi-point performances pace Coyotes to win over Islanders
- 'Yotes Notes: Phoenix ends three-game home losing streak with win over Islanders
- Tippett: Outdoor game in Phoenix would be 'great for our city'
- Coyotes coach Tippett: Backup G Thomas Greiss has 'earned the confidence of his teammates'
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Antoine Vermette, Coyotes Center - Wednesday December 11Antoine Vermette discusses his two-goal performance against the Avalanche Tuesday.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?