Amour, Argo win acclaim at French film awards
PARIS (AP) - "Amour" and "Argo" are taking home prestigious prizes- and Kevin Costner may be taking home a horse- after a French film award ceremony.
The Cesar awards on Friday night reflected excitement and emotion ahead of the Oscars on Sunday. But they had a decidedly French touch, replete with references to high taxes.
The story of a woman's Alzheimer's and her husband's devotion, Michael Haneke's "Amour" won best film, best director- and best actress and actor prizes for its octogenarian stars, Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintingant.
"Argo," about Americans taken hostage in Iran, won the best foreign film award.
Costner said "merci" over and over again for a lifetime achievement award. He was even offered a horse, amid jokes about a horse meat scandal engulfing Europe.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.