'Yotes Notes: Coyotes blow two goal lead, fall to Oilers in shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 3-2 loss in a shootout to the Oilers on February 23.
Mike Smith was brilliant in net for the Coyotes, stopping 41-of-43 Oilers shots on Saturday afternoon. Smith looked particularly sharp in overtime when the Coyotes were on the penalty kill after Lauri Korpikoski was charged with hooking.
Kyle Chipchura and Matthew Lombardi both notched goals for Phoenix in regulation, with Lombardi's first tally of the season coming on the power play. The goal ended a 1-for-23 power play dry spell.
The Coyotes held a two goal lead in the second period but weren't able to hang on against an Oilers team that kept the pressure coming.
Smith, who put on a show in goal all game long, couldn't stop either shot he faced in the shootout.
The defense hung Smith out to dry, as the Oilers outshot the Coyotes 43-to-36.
Phoenix had trouble containing Edmonton's third line unit of Ryan Jones, Eric Belanger and Ben Eager. The trio registered six scoring chances in the contest.
Despite Lombardi's power play goal, Phoenix still only managed to go 1-for-7 with the man advantage.
• The Coyotes saw their two-game winning streak come to an end against the Oilers.
• Phoenix was without forwards Radim Vrbata and Martin Hanzal along with defenseman Derek Morris. All three were sidelined with injuries.
• Before Saturday's loss, the Coyotes had won five consecutive games in Edmonton.
The Coyotes will take on the Calgary Flames on Sunday. The game is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.