'Beasts' star Quvenzhane Wallis cast as 'Annie'
NEW YORK (AP) - The young Oscar-nominated star of "Beasts of the Southern Wild" has been cast in the lead role of a new version of "Annie."
Sony Pictures announced Sunday that Quvenzhane (kwuh-VEHN'-juh-nay) Wallis will play Annie in a contemporized adaptation of the Broadway musical and the "Little Orphan Annie" comic strip. It's to be directed by Will Gluck, who loosely based his 2010 film "Easy A" on "The Scarlet Letter."
The 9-year-old Quvenzhane is one of the youngest Oscar-nominated actors ever. She's also shot a small role in Steve McQueen's upcoming film, "Twelve Years a Slave."
"Annie" is planned for release during the 2014 holiday season. Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith and Jay-Z are among the producers. The Smiths' daughter, Willow, had originally been slated to play Annie.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.