Steven Spielberg to head Cannes jury this year
PARIS (AP) - France's Cannes Film Festival says it has finally snagged Steven Spielberg to serve as president of the award jury this year.
Gilles Jacob, the festival's president, recounted how he had been trying to get the award-winning director to head the jury for years- but the American was always working. Finally, this year, Spielberg got in touch.
"When this year I was told `E.T., phone home,' I understood and immediately replied: `At last!'" Jacob said in a statement posted on the festival's website Thursday.
Spielberg, who was nominated but didn't win the directing Oscar for his biopic "Lincoln" this year, takes the reins from Italian Nanni Moretti. The festival takes place in the glamorous French Mediterranean resort of Cannes from May 15 to 26.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.