Steven Spielberg to head Cannes jury this year
PARIS (AP) - France's Cannes Film Festival says it has finally snagged Steven Spielberg to serve as president of the award jury this year.
Gilles Jacob, the festival's president, recounted how he had been trying to get the award-winning director to head the jury for years- but the American was always working. Finally, this year, Spielberg got in touch.
"When this year I was told `E.T., phone home,' I understood and immediately replied: `At last!'" Jacob said in a statement posted on the festival's website Thursday.
Spielberg, who was nominated but didn't win the directing Oscar for his biopic "Lincoln" this year, takes the reins from Italian Nanni Moretti. The festival takes place in the glamorous French Mediterranean resort of Cannes from May 15 to 26.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.
- Luke Lapinski, Coyotes pre and post-game host - Wednesday April 9Coyotes pre and post-game host Luke Lapinski discusses the Coyotes' playoff race.