'Yotes Notes: Phoenix gets by division-leading Anaheim in shootout
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 5-4 shootout win over the Ducks on March 2.
The Coyotes took advantage of a tired Anaheim Ducks team, winning 5-4 in a shootout on Saturday at Jobing.com Arena.
After allowing an early goal to the Ducks (just :21 into the game), the 'Yotes rebounded with a nice goal by Matthew Lombardi midway through the period. Lauri Korpikoski scored his first of the night in the second period and his second goal in the third. But it was Steve Sullivan's tally late in the third period that tied the contest and forced overtime.
Goalie Mike Smith was phenomenal, saving 31 of the 35 shots he faced.
Phoenix is still dealing with some notable injuries. Martin Hanzal, Radim Vrbata were both placed on the injured reserve list on Friday. Defenseman David Schlemko is still on IR with a lower body injury.
He Said It:
"I just think they were a little tired because they played last night," said Lauri Korpikoski. "We came at them in the third and found a way to get goals."
Coyotes forward Mikkel Boedker had back-to-back two-point performances heading into Saturday's game. He recorded an assist against the Ducks and has put up seven points in the last six games.
Shane Doan recorded career point No. 799 with an assist on Lombardi's first period goal.
The Coyotes play game two of this three-game set with Anaheim on Monday night at Jobing.com Arena. The puck will drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i