Updated Mar 6, 2013 - 11:38 pm
'Yotes Notes: Ducks blank Coyotes in finale of three-game divisional series
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 2-0 loss to the Ducks on March 6.
Jason LaBarbera made his first start since January 26 and looked very sharp between the pipes. The Coyotes netminder made 23 saves on 24 shots, including a big stop on Andrew Cogliano's second period penalty shot.
The Coyotes were not extremely careful with the puck (eight giveaways) Wednesday night but rarely allowed the Ducks to get terrific looks at the offensive end. On the night, Phoenix committed just one penalty.
The Coyotes found ways to win over the weekend despite not playing Dave Tippett-style hockey. In Anaheim, Phoenix got back to a more physical, gritty brand of hockey and yet left with its only loss in the three-game divisional series.
Two nights after scoring four regulation goals on Jonas Hiller, the Coyotes struggled to even test the Swiss goaltender. Phoenix only put 18 shots on goal, with several coming from just under the blue line.
Of the Coyotes' 18 shots, eight came from defensemen.
Phoenix was also 0-of-3 on the power play.
Wednesday's loss marked the second time the Coyotes were shut out in 2013.
In 10 road games, Phoenix is an underwhelming 3-5-2.
The Coyotes have also been underwhelming at the Honda Center of late, losing three straight dating back to the 2011-12 season.
Jonas Hiller's shutout was the 16th of his career.
The Coyotes host the St. Louis Blues on Thursday night at Jobing.com Arena. The puck will drop at 7:00 p.m. MST.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.