Captain Peacock actor Frank Thornton dies
LONDON (AP) - British actor Frank Thornton- best known as Captain Peacock in the long-running television comedy "Are You Being Served?"- has died at age 92, his agent said Monday.
The actor is best remembered by British audiences for his comic role in the innuendo-laden hit sitcom, which ran from the 1970s to 1985. He played a mustachioed, pompous floor manager who oversaw his fellow shop workers in a department store.
Thornton's agent, David Daly, said that the actor died in his sleep in his home in London in the early hours of Saturday.
Born in Dulwich, south London, Thornton had worked in insurance after leaving school but took evening classes to become an actor.
He soon took up stage acting and played in London's West End, before serving in the Royal Air Force during World War II. In the 1950s, while still doing theater, he began to branch into television comedy. He appeared on "The Benny Hill Show" and other comedy programs, and also took a small role in the movie "Carry On Screaming."
In the 1970s- with the success of "Are You Being Served?"- Thornton became a household name in Britain.
"He was a great friend and consummate performer who was the glue who really held `Are You Being Served?' together," said the show's co-creator, Jeremy Lloyd. "He will continue to give people enjoyment."
Later Thornton also became known for his part in another long-running television comedy series, "Last of the Summer Wine."
He has made appearances in dozens of movies, including "No Sex Please, We're British" and more recently "Gosford Park."
Thornton is survived by his wife Beryl, daughter Jane, and three grandchildren.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.