Vancouver's Alexander Edler suspended two games for hit on Coyotes' Mike Smith
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alexander Edler was suspended two games Friday for his hit on Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith.
In the second period of Thursday's game, Edler was chasing the puck while on the power play when Smith moved out to play it. The two collided and Edler received a five-minute major penalty for roughing.
"I saw a guy just run him over," said Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett of the hit. "He just kept going right through him."
A short scrum followed, in which Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal was called for a two-minute roughing penalty.
Smith completed the period, but did not return to the ice for the remainder of the game.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault said he didn't necessarily agree with the call because Smith plays the puck on a frequent basis.
"[Edler] was just going behind the net to try to play [Smith's] stick and the goaltender turned around and tried to shoot it so I'm not sure what he's supposed to do there." Edler faced a maximum suspension of five games.
This isn't the first time Smith has been injured behind the net as a Coyote. Last season, during the playoffs, Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw was suspended three games after he hit Smith while the netminder was playing the puck.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 25Tippett tells Burns & Gambo why he thinks the Coyotes didn't get into the postseason
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 19Tippett goes over what the Coyotes have to do to make the playoffs. He also gives an injury update o
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 11Coyotes are making a late playoff push after beating Edmonton last night. Coach Tippett joins the sh
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes' Head Coach - Friday April 5Coach Tippett talks to Burns & Gambo about the win over Detroit and the moves at the trade deadline.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Thursday March 28Don talks about Mike Smith's contract, the Coyotes' offensive struggles, and how they can get back i