Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 6:07 pm
Vancouver's Alexander Edler suspended two games for hit on Coyotes' Mike Smith
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alexander Edler was suspended two games Friday for his hit on Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith.
In the second period of Thursday's game, Edler was chasing the puck while on the power play when Smith moved out to play it. The two collided and Edler received a five-minute major penalty for roughing.
"I saw a guy just run him over," said Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett of the hit. "He just kept going right through him."
A short scrum followed, in which Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal was called for a two-minute roughing penalty.
Smith completed the period, but did not return to the ice for the remainder of the game.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault said he didn't necessarily agree with the call because Smith plays the puck on a frequent basis.
"[Edler] was just going behind the net to try to play [Smith's] stick and the goaltender turned around and tried to shoot it so I'm not sure what he's supposed to do there." Edler faced a maximum suspension of five games.
This isn't the first time Smith has been injured behind the net as a Coyote. Last season, during the playoffs, Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw was suspended three games after he hit Smith while the netminder was playing the puck.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?