Updated Mar 22, 2013 - 6:07 pm
Vancouver's Alexander Edler suspended two games for hit on Coyotes' Mike Smith
Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alexander Edler was suspended two games Friday for his hit on Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith.
In the second period of Thursday's game, Edler was chasing the puck while on the power play when Smith moved out to play it. The two collided and Edler received a five-minute major penalty for roughing.
"I saw a guy just run him over," said Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett of the hit. "He just kept going right through him."
A short scrum followed, in which Coyotes forward Martin Hanzal was called for a two-minute roughing penalty.
Smith completed the period, but did not return to the ice for the remainder of the game.
Vancouver head coach Alain Vigneault said he didn't necessarily agree with the call because Smith plays the puck on a frequent basis.
"[Edler] was just going behind the net to try to play [Smith's] stick and the goaltender turned around and tried to shoot it so I'm not sure what he's supposed to do there." Edler faced a maximum suspension of five games.
This isn't the first time Smith has been injured behind the net as a Coyote. Last season, during the playoffs, Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw was suspended three games after he hit Smith while the netminder was playing the puck.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Kane leads Blackhawks past Coyotes 5-2
- Report: Phoenix Coyotes sign forward Gilbert Brule to 1-year deal
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Thursday November 21Barry Melrose says Mike Smith is the most exciting goalie in the NHL.
- Shane Doan, Coyotes Captain - Wednesday November 20Shane Doan talks about his hot offensive start.