Updated Mar 25, 2013 - 4:00 pm
Coyotes look to Jason LaBarbera to snap skid
The injury to Smith occurred when he was charged and hit in the head behind the net by the Canucks' Alex Edler in the second period. Earlier in the game, Smith also had a collision with Daniel Sedin.
Coyotes coach Dave Tippett said this is a chance for LaBarbera to step up in an important situation.
"He's (LaBarbera) looked very good in practice the last little bit and the games he's been in here lately, he's looked solid. We need him to play very well," said Tippett after morning skate. "That's your number two's role of the team. He's waited patiently for his time to play and this is it. It's very big games for us so I'm sure he's excited to play."
Tippett also said Smith is still day-to-day and has not participated much since Thursday.
The Coyotes recalled goalie Chad Johnson from the Portland Pirates of the AHL on Saturday. He made two starts for the ‘Yotes this season and recorded his first NHL shutout on January 28th against Nashville, where he recorded 21 saves. He'll serve as LaBarbera's backup for the game Monday night.
After Monday's game, the Coyotes hit the road for an important week with three games in four nights against Minnesota, Nashville and San Jose.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.