Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 6:25 am
'Yotes Notes: Coyotes' losing ways continue against Red Wings
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a hockey game. So, we will give you 'Yotes Notes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Coyotes' 3-2 loss to the Red Wings on March 25.
The Coyotes generated offensive zone pressure that hasn't been noticeable in quite awhile. They elevated the puck, looked for rebounds on shots and won the board battles on the forecheck. It didn't gain them a win, but they scored. Given the state of the Coyotes right now, that's a good thing.
Rob Klinkhammer continued his solid play for the Coyotes. He scored a goal in the first period and leads the team in shooting percentage at 18.2 percent.
Guess what? The Coyotes gave up the first goal. Stop me if you've heard this one before. They have given up the first goal in six straight games, all losses.
Phoenix again struggled with discipline, racking up a total of five penalties for 10 total minutes spent a man down. They took a two-minute minor for too many men on the ice early in the third period. Pavel Datsyuk scored the go-ahead goal on the ensuing power play and the Coyotes were fittingly handed their sixth straight loss.
The Coyotes took their first lead in a game since March 12, when they beat the Los Angeles Kings 5-2. That is also the last game they won.
The Coyotes welcomed an over-capacity crowd of 17,428. It's their second straight sellout.
Mike Smith missed his first game since he collided with Alexander Edler of the Vancouver Canucks last Thursday. He is considered day-to-day.
Forward Radim Vrbata tallied his second point since returning from injury. He now has two points in the two games since he returned.
The Coyotes will head to Minnesota to take on the Wild on Wednesday at 6 p.m., their first in a three-game roadie. Who knows? Maybe they need to see some snow to get a win.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?