Updated Apr 25, 2013 - 2:42 pm
Coyotes coach: Road woes kept team out of postseason
This, coming after a season in which they reached the Western Conference Final, is nothing but disappointing.
The Coyotes, who are 20-18-8 with 48 points, have two games left in their season, but the damage done by a seven-game winless streak in mid-March was ultimately too much to overcome in this lockout-shortened season.
"The inconsistency, not so much in how we played, but the inconsistency in scoring between home and road was a major factor," Coyotes coach Dave Tippett told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Thursday. "Our road record wasn't very good, but we lost seven games in overtime on the road -- five of them in a shootout -- so we were close.
"Our scoring, right throughout our group, home versus road, was a drastic difference."
The Coyotes averaged 2.96 goals per game at Jobing.com Arena compared to just 1.91 goals away from it, so the coach is not kidding. The issues led to the Desert Dogs to having a 6-10-7 record away from home. Fourteen other NHL teams have sub-.500 road marks, so it is not as if the Desert Dogs are alone here.
But be that as it may, the struggles cost the Coyotes dearly.
"If we could have just got that road record to where it has been the last few years, where you're .500 on the road and play well at home, you've got a playoff spot."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?