HK director Wong Kar-wai gets top French honor
HONG KONG (AP) - Hong Kong film director Wong Kar-wai has been given France's highest cultural honor.
Wong was named a Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters by French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius on Sunday.
Fabius bestowed the medal on Wong in a ceremony at the French consul-general's official residence in the southern Chinese city.
The filmmaker said the award is "in a way, a tribute to Hong Kong cinema," and that France is cinema's "spirit home."
Fabius said French artist Jean Cocteau might have called Wong Kar-wai "the calligrapher of light."
Wong's movies include "Chungking Express" and "In The Mood For Love." His most recent film, "The Grandmaster," was released this year.
It recounts the life story of Chinese martial arts legend Ip Man, famous for having trained Bruce Lee.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.