Cannes crime: 2nd jewel theft during film festival
PARIS (AP) - Thieves outsmarted 80 security guards in an exclusive French Riviera hotel and made off with a necklace that creators say is worth a staggering 2 million euros ($2.6 million)- in the second such jewelry heist during this year's Cannes Film Festival.
The De Grisogono jewelry house said Thursday that the necklace was stolen after a party for festival attendees at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc on Tuesday night. In a statement, it said the theft occurred "despite the large security measures set in place: over 80 security guards plus police."
A police official said Thursday that the "high value" necklace was stolen overnight from the luxurious resort town of Cap d'Antibes. She gave no further details and spoke on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak on the record about an ongoing investigation.
Cap d'Antibes is just down the coast from Cannes and even more exclusive. Its Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc often plays host to events during the festival, including Tuesday night's party, which included stars such as Sharon Stone, Ornella Mutti and others. The hotel is hosting another party Thursday night.
De Grisogono director Fawaz Gruosi said in the statement, "it is actually the first time it has happened in our 20-year history."
Last week, thieves stole about $1 million worth of jewels after ripping a safe from the wall of a hotel room in Cannes. The jewelry was taken from the Novotel room of an employee of Chopard, the Swiss-based watch and jewelry maker that has loaned bling to A-list stars walking the red carpet at the film festival.
Angela Charlton contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.