Updated May 23, 2013 - 11:52 am
Report: Coyotes nearing new contract for GM Don Maloney
One of them is the contract status of general manager Don Maloney, because his was set to expire at the end of June.
But according to a report by FoxSportsArizona.com's Craig Morgan, a deal is nearing for the sides to remain together.
Multiple sources have confirmed that the NHL and team are finalizing a new contract for general manager Don Maloney. The terms of the deal are not yet known, nor is a timeline for an announcement.
Maloney's contract was set to expire on June 30, and it was originally thought that he would not receive a new deal until the franchise's current owner, the NHL, had found a new owner. But the league, recognizing the importance of having a general manager for the upcoming NHL Draft, free agency and myriad other reasons, took care of one very important order of business.
Maloney has been with the Coyotes since May 2007, and has helped oversee a turnaround that has seen the franchise post the three highest point totals in franchise history as well as multiple trips to the postseason -- including a run to the Western Conference Finals in 2012. Given that he's done so on a league-mandated budget, and it stands to reason Maloney would have had a fair share of suitors should he have reached the open market.
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.