Updated May 23, 2013 - 11:52 am
Report: Coyotes nearing new contract for GM Don Maloney
One of them is the contract status of general manager Don Maloney, because his was set to expire at the end of June.
But according to a report by FoxSportsArizona.com's Craig Morgan, a deal is nearing for the sides to remain together.
Multiple sources have confirmed that the NHL and team are finalizing a new contract for general manager Don Maloney. The terms of the deal are not yet known, nor is a timeline for an announcement.
Maloney's contract was set to expire on June 30, and it was originally thought that he would not receive a new deal until the franchise's current owner, the NHL, had found a new owner. But the league, recognizing the importance of having a general manager for the upcoming NHL Draft, free agency and myriad other reasons, took care of one very important order of business.
Maloney has been with the Coyotes since May 2007, and has helped oversee a turnaround that has seen the franchise post the three highest point totals in franchise history as well as multiple trips to the postseason -- including a run to the Western Conference Finals in 2012. Given that he's done so on a league-mandated budget, and it stands to reason Maloney would have had a fair share of suitors should he have reached the open market.
- Three multi-point performances pace Coyotes to win over Islanders
- 'Yotes Notes: Phoenix ends three-game home losing streak with win over Islanders
- Tippett: Outdoor game in Phoenix would be 'great for our city'
- Coyotes coach Tippett: Backup G Thomas Greiss has 'earned the confidence of his teammates'
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Antoine Vermette, Coyotes Center - Wednesday December 11Antoine Vermette discusses his two-goal performance against the Avalanche Tuesday.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?