Coyotes owner George Gosbee says 'five-year out clause frustrating'
The key to the deal was a 15-year lease contract to run Jobing.com Arena with the City of Glendale, which was agreed upon in July.
However, there is a down side to the deal and that is the five-year out clause that would give IceArizona the option to relocate the Coyotes in the event the team is still losing money.
One of the investors of the IceArizona group, George Gosbee, went on the Dan Bickley with Vince Marotta Show Monday to discuss the out clause.
"That five-year clause is frustrating now," Gosbee said. "Over time people will realize we are here to stay.
"Our business plan did not factor in relocation, our focus is to build a successful franchise in Glendale. We are financial investors and have to protect ourselves, but we think it's highly unlikely based on our business plan."
The Coyotes have already started a "Here to Stay" marketing approach, as well as announced a future change of the team's name to the Arizona Coyotes.
"Our focus going forward is to market a "Here to Stay" campaign," Gosbee stated. "We are not going anywhere and came into this with the goal of building a winning organization."
On the ice, the Coyotes have given new contracts to general manager Don Maloney, head coach Dave Tippett and goalie Mike Smith, which should give IceArizona a good team on the ice that can help draw fans to the arena.
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?