Damon, Panettiere get Environmental Media Awards
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Environmental Media Association is honoring Matt Damon and Hayden Panettiere for their dedication to ecological causes.
The organization announced Monday that the two actors will be honored at its 23rd annual Environmental Media Awards this fall.
Damon will receive the Ongoing Commitment Award for his work with Water.org, the organization he co-founded that aims to bring safe water and sanitation to people around the world.
The 42-year-old actor says he hopes the award brings attention to Water.org's efforts "to bring clean water to communities around the world and inspire new friends and partners to join the fight."
Panettiere will accept the Futures Award, which recognizes younger entertainers for their potential to be environmental activists. The "Nashville" star is active with the Whaleman Foundation, an oceanic research and conservation group.
The 24-year-old actress said she's excited to talk about her work with the Whaleman Foundation and "using my voice to protect our oceans and their amazing inhabitants."
The prizes will be presented at a ceremony on Oct. 19 at Warner Bros. studios in Burbank, Calif.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.