Prominent entertainment lawyer Irwin Russell dies
LOS ANGELES (AP) - A family representative says prominent entertainment lawyer Irwin Russell, whose clients included such industry heavyweights as Michael Eisner, Jim Henson and David Wolper, has died at age 87.
Russell, who died Friday in Los Angeles of leukemia, was a key player in the 1984 takeover and subsequent expansion of The Walt Disney Co.
In a statement, Eisner, former CEO and chairman of Disney, called Russell "a brilliant lawyer, an insightful executive," and praised him for being able to put together a one-page deal- "something unheard of in American business."
Russell assembled deals for such TV mainstays as "Baywatch," "Candid Camera," "Hee Haw" and the Muppets. Other clients included Dr. Seuss, Robert Preston, Carol Burnett, and Christina Crawford, whom Russell represented in proceedings against her mother, Joan Crawford.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.