Coyotes GM Don Maloney: Oliver Ekman-Larsson stuck in Sweden
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Phoenix Coyotes will be without one of their premier defensemen when the team kicks off its 2013 camp on Thursday.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson is stuck in his native Sweden.
"Oliver has an immigration issue," Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney said media day Wednesday. "We're just waiting for him to get his visa back, hopefully sooner rather than later."
Maloney said the team has "no idea" on how long the paperwork will take or when OEL is expected to arrive, and he's not thrilled with the situation.
"I'm not happy about it," he said. "It's something the players are required to take care of. I think somewhere along the line the communication fell. He was lax in getting after it."
Maloney said the Coyotes have some avenues to possibly speed up the process.
Last season, Ekman-Larsson posted three goals and 21 assists in 48 games. He finished the season with a plus-5. He also led the team by spending an average 25:05 on the ice each game.
Carter Nacke, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!