Updated Sep 16, 2013 - 5:27 pm
Phoenix Coyotes' Paul Bissonnette suspended 10 games by NHL
The league announced left wing Paul Bissonnette has been suspended for 10 games for leaving the bench area to join an on-ice altercation. He was assessed a game misconduct penalty Sunday, and the suspension is automatic.
At 12:09 of the first period, Bissonnette was assessed a Game Misconduct penalty under Rule 70.6, which states: "A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on the player who was the first or second player to leave the players' or penalty bench during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation, from either or both teams."
As for Jordan Nolan, whose hit on Rostislav Klesla led to the Coyote being carried off the ice on a stretcher, nothing will happen.
"The hit was punishing and resulted in Klesla suffering an injury," NHL Vice President of Hockey and Business Development and Director of Player Safety said. "However, in delivering it, Nolan broke no National Hockey League rules.
"Therefore, supplemental discipline is not warranted."
Bissonnette, who will forfeit $37,820.51 due to the suspension, will be eligible to return to the team on Oct. 24 when, incidentally, the Coyotes face off against the Kings in Los Angeles.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?