Updated Oct 10, 2013 - 11:00 am
Coyotes' Doan: We 'haven't been close to good enough' last two games
"Obviously, they gave it to us last night," Doan told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "They were good and we were bad, so that's never going to be a good combination. The last two games, we've been on the wrong end of two games that we don't enjoy."
Doan agreed with head coach Dave Tippett, who said the lopsided score didn't accurately show the level of play between the two teams.
"The game against the Islanders wasn't a 6-1 game," Doan said. "They got some fortunate bounces that went their way and we had some things happen that I really wish could've gone our way."
He pointed at his shot that deflected off the post when it was still 3-1, a missed goal that would've changed the outlook of the game. Instead of Phoenix pulling within one, the Islanders took advantage and scored a goal of their own to put themselves up three, essentially ending the Coyotes' chances.
Doan added the loss, the team's second big defeat in a row, is especially tough considering how well they started the season. The Coyotes won big at home in their season opener against the New York Rangers, but they've failed to repeat that performance since heading out on the road.
The Coyotes first traveled out to San Jose, where the Sharks handed them a thorough 4-1 defeat. Then came the loss in New York, which has caused some to panic, but Doan remains confident.
"It's discouraging in the fact we're not playing as well as we think we're capable of," Doan said. "And it's discouraging the last two games have been as bad as they've been. But it's also encouraging the fact that it was only five or six days ago we were playing exactly the way we need to."
While they're focused on turning things around, Doan added it's important to maintain some perspective that it's still early in the campaign.
"It's not like it's been a month and we're trying to figure everything out and it's taken a while. We had two games that we struggled in," Doan said. "We just can't afford to not recognize that we haven't been close to good enough and that's kind of been the issue the last couple days."
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.