Updated Oct 11, 2013 - 8:22 am
'Yotes Notes: Coyotes regroup, beat Red Wings in Detroit
The Coyotes went into the second intermission with a 2-2 tie, following goals by Derek Morris and Mikkel Boedker. Then, with less than five minutes to play in regulation, Mike Ribeiro got the puck to Michael Stone, who netted a picturesque go-ahead goal on Red Wings' goalie Jimmy Howard. It was Ribeiro's first point with the Coyotes.
Antoine Vermette, who assisted Morris' goal in the early part of the first period, scored an empty net goal with 0:51 on the clock to seal the victory.
Filling the Coyotes' net, Mike Smith notched 28 saves with an improved defense on the ice -- one that killed two power plays on the night.
The Coyotes outshot the Red Wings 38-30, winning 46 of 70 faceoffs, thanks to Martin Hanzal's 14-for-19 night and Vermette's 17-for-27.
After a players-only meeting that followed their 6-1 loss to the Islanders, the Coyotes looked regrouped on the ice in Detroit in all facets. Their go-ahead goal late in the game came seconds after the end of a well-run power play, and their defense looked much more organized against the Red Wings.
Kyle Chipchura notched a -1 +/- on the night, getting stuck with a pair of penalties in the first and third periods. He had three shots on goal and just one hit in his 14:49 of ice time.
Paul Bissonnette returned to the ice for the Coyotes Thursday, following a three-game suspension -- which was originally 10 games prior to an appeal -- that was issued in the preseason.
The Coyotes (2-2-0) take on the Philadelphia Flyers at 4:00 p.m. MDT at the Wells Fargo Center.
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.