Report: NHL lost $113 million while owning Phoenix Coyotes
Since November 2009, when the league took over the Glendale-based franchise, the NHL lost $112.7 on the team, according to the Phoenix Business Journal.
Some simple math based on the $112.7 million shows the NHL averaged more than $28 million in losses annually for the four seasons it owned the Coyotes.
On Aug. 5, the league completed a deal to sell the Coyotes to IceArizona Acquistion Co., a group led by investors George Gosbee and Anthony LeBlanc.
Phoenix Business Journal also reports the league loaned the new ownership group $85 million to help close the deal and keep the franchise in Arizona.
The NHL still is owed money from the city of Glendale for operating Jobing.com Arena while owning the Coyotes.
Glendale already has paid the NHL $25 million and owes the league another $25 million. The two sides struck a deal over the summer as part of the Coyotes sale that gives the city until July 2016 to pay that amount, according to city spokeswoman Julie Frisoni.
- Three multi-point performances pace Coyotes to win over Islanders
- 'Yotes Notes: Phoenix ends three-game home losing streak with win over Islanders
- Tippett: Outdoor game in Phoenix would be 'great for our city'
- Coyotes coach Tippett: Backup G Thomas Greiss has 'earned the confidence of his teammates'
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Antoine Vermette, Coyotes Center - Wednesday December 11Antoine Vermette discusses his two-goal performance against the Avalanche Tuesday.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Wednesday December 11The Yotes grabbed a solid bounce back win over the Avalanche.
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?