Charlie Hunnam departs 'Fifty Shades of Grey' film
NEW YORK (AP) - Charlie Hunnam is dropping out of the highly anticipated big-screen version of "Fifty Shades of Grey" just weeks after being cast as the lead, citing his busy schedule.
Universal Pictures and Focus Features announced Saturday that the actor who was to play Christian Grey will depart the project. The studio called it a mutual decision because Hunnam's preparation time was limited by his television schedule. He stars in the FX series "Sons of Anarchy."
It's an abrupt and embarrassing switch for a high-profile film. Fans of E L James' erotic best-seller are eagerly awaiting the movie adaptation, which will be directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson.
Dakota Johnson remains in the co-starring role of Anastasia Steele. A replacement will be sought for Hunnam, who last month said he initially turned down the role.
When his casting was announced in September, many vented online that the "Pacific Rim" actor was ill suited to play the seductive billionaire. Producers Dana Brunetti and Michael De Luca took to Twitter to defend the choice, maintaining their two leads had good chemistry together.
Representatives for Hunnam didn't immediately respond to a request for comment Saturday.
Follow AP Film Writer Jake Coyle on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/jake_coyle
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 27Would an NHL expansion benefit the Arizona Coyotes?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.