Tippett: Return of veterans helping Coyotes' penalty kill
The reason for the turnaround, according to head coach Dave Tippett, lies in the return of veteran defensemen Rostislav Klesla and Derek Morris, who have 29 years of NHL experience combined.
"Those two veteran guys coming in on the penalty kill certainly helped, just to stabilize," Tippett told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta Wednesday. "And that was like the rest of our game, we just needed to stabilize. We had some veteran players out, some young players playing and when things aren't going well, the veteran players tend to be able to grab that situation a lot easier and do some good things."
Another player Tippett believes will help the group going forward is center Jeff Halpern, who signed with the Coyotes on Oct. 12.
"He jumped in (Tuesday) night for his first game, did a real nice job, was eight-and-one on faceoffs," Tippett said. "He'll continue to grow with the group."
The team currently ranks 20th in the NHL with a 78.1 penalty kill percentage, but their 88.9 percent mark in the last five games would be good for a top-three spot.
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.