Coyotes' Mike Smith makes history with goal vs. Red Wings
After falling behind 2-0 to the Detroit Red Wings, the 'Yotes rallied for four straight goals, ensuring that they'd sweep the season series from the team from Hockeytown.
That's when goalie Mike Smith added the cherry to a very sweet sundae for Phoenix in a 5-2 win.
With Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard on the bench after being pulled for an extra skater, the puck made it's way into the Coyotes' crease with just seconds left on the clock. Smith handled it, and did what any goalie would try to do in that situation -- he took a shot.
Three seconds and 180 feet later, the puck found the net, making Smith just the 11th goalie in NHL history to get credit for scoring a goal in a game and the first in franchise history.
- Coyotes on right financial track with new owners
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?