Coyotes goalie Smith excited about goal, pleased with team's recent stretch
Telling Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf it was "pretty cool," Smith said the circumstances of the game led to the historic achievement.
"I always thought I would score," Smith admitted. "It's just the situation has to be absolutely perfect and like you guys saw, .1 seconds left it crosses the goal line.
"Everything worked out how it's supposed to when a goalie is able to score."
As exciting and noteworthy as the goal was, the most important part of the team's 5-2 victory over the Red Wings was that the score itself.
Winners of five of their last seven games -- and recipients of points in all seven -- the Coyotes seem to have finally gotten on track.
"We've played a lot more like we're capable of playing," Smith said, adding that the team received a bit of a wake up call in consecutive road losses to the San Jose Sharks and New York Islanders earlier in the month. "I think since then we've really given ourselves a really good chance to win hockey games by doing a lot of really good things in hockey games that make us successful.
"And we're getting rewarded because of it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.