Coyotes goalie Smith excited about goal, pleased with team's recent stretch
Telling Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf it was "pretty cool," Smith said the circumstances of the game led to the historic achievement.
"I always thought I would score," Smith admitted. "It's just the situation has to be absolutely perfect and like you guys saw, .1 seconds left it crosses the goal line.
"Everything worked out how it's supposed to when a goalie is able to score."
As exciting and noteworthy as the goal was, the most important part of the team's 5-2 victory over the Red Wings was that the score itself.
Winners of five of their last seven games -- and recipients of points in all seven -- the Coyotes seem to have finally gotten on track.
"We've played a lot more like we're capable of playing," Smith said, adding that the team received a bit of a wake up call in consecutive road losses to the San Jose Sharks and New York Islanders earlier in the month. "I think since then we've really given ourselves a really good chance to win hockey games by doing a lot of really good things in hockey games that make us successful.
"And we're getting rewarded because of it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Coyotes captain Doan: Chances at winning Stanley Cup next few years as good as anybody
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Friday April 18Burns and Gambo recap the season with captain Shane Doan.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippett reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?