Coyotes goalie Smith excited about goal, pleased with team's recent stretch
Telling Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf it was "pretty cool," Smith said the circumstances of the game led to the historic achievement.
"I always thought I would score," Smith admitted. "It's just the situation has to be absolutely perfect and like you guys saw, .1 seconds left it crosses the goal line.
"Everything worked out how it's supposed to when a goalie is able to score."
As exciting and noteworthy as the goal was, the most important part of the team's 5-2 victory over the Red Wings was that the score itself.
Winners of five of their last seven games -- and recipients of points in all seven -- the Coyotes seem to have finally gotten on track.
"We've played a lot more like we're capable of playing," Smith said, adding that the team received a bit of a wake up call in consecutive road losses to the San Jose Sharks and New York Islanders earlier in the month. "I think since then we've really given ourselves a really good chance to win hockey games by doing a lot of really good things in hockey games that make us successful.
"And we're getting rewarded because of it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- 'Yotes Notes: Vermette celebrates big night with two-goal performance in win over Colorado
- Ice Bites: Where would the Coyotes host an outdoor NHL game?
- Report: Phoenix Coyotes ready to host outdoor game
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.