Coyotes' Mike Smith: Lockout affected goalies across the league
Highlight goal aside, Smith's good start to the season, as he's tied for third in the league with five wins, has assuaged some concern after he posted a disappointing campaign last year, in which he struggled to reach the same level of play he displayed the previous year. With such a contrast in performance between the last two years, the question became: Which Smith was the real one?
The nine-year veteran has answered that question with his play this year, and pointed to the lockout as the biggest reason for the down season not only for himself, but for other goalies across the league.
"There were a lot of good goalies that are usually up in the top 5, top 10 in the league in all the categories, and it seemed they weren't there at all," Smith told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta. "It took me some time to really realize, ‘Hey, it's not just me that's not off to a good start. There's a lot of good goalies that had slow starts also.' I really believe it was because of that four month layoff."
Smith added that a regular schedule and more time to prepare would allow him to perform to his true ability this season.
"I was really excited about this year, having a full season, a full camp, and having a really good summer to get ready for the start of the season," Smith said. "I came in healthy and ready to prove I'm still a number one goalie in this league, and so far it's going pretty well."
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.