Coyotes' Mike Smith: Lockout affected goalies across the league
Highlight goal aside, Smith's good start to the season, as he's tied for third in the league with five wins, has assuaged some concern after he posted a disappointing campaign last year, in which he struggled to reach the same level of play he displayed the previous year. With such a contrast in performance between the last two years, the question became: Which Smith was the real one?
The nine-year veteran has answered that question with his play this year, and pointed to the lockout as the biggest reason for the down season not only for himself, but for other goalies across the league.
"There were a lot of good goalies that are usually up in the top 5, top 10 in the league in all the categories, and it seemed they weren't there at all," Smith told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta. "It took me some time to really realize, ‘Hey, it's not just me that's not off to a good start. There's a lot of good goalies that had slow starts also.' I really believe it was because of that four month layoff."
Smith added that a regular schedule and more time to prepare would allow him to perform to his true ability this season.
"I was really excited about this year, having a full season, a full camp, and having a really good summer to get ready for the start of the season," Smith said. "I came in healthy and ready to prove I'm still a number one goalie in this league, and so far it's going pretty well."
- Yotes Notes: Coyotes force overtime, ultimately fall to Canucks
- Coyotes lose early lead, fall to Flames
- Coyotes GM on goaltender Mike Smith: 'I do believe he puts too much pressure on himself'
- Phoenix Coyotes roll past last-place Edmonton Oilers
- Phoenix Coyotes to honor members of 1980 USA hockey team
- Mike Ribeiro, Phoenix Coyotes center - Thursday December 5The biggest takeaways from Wednesday night's game against Calgary.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Thursday December 5Tippett discussed goalie Mike Smith's inconsistency.
- Don Maloney, Phoenix Coyotes GM - Wednesday December 4How were the Coyotes able to get back on track? Can they build off of this win?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Tuesday November 26Shane Doan talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Monday night.
- Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes Coach - Tuesday November 26Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes loss to Nashville Tuesday night.