'Yotes Notes: Coyotes get revenge vs. Kings
Tonight, on their home ice at Jobing.com Arena, however, the Coyotes refused such a beatdown, initiating an incredibly physical and, at times, sloppy first period that had 20 minutes of penalties and, at one point, saw five players in the penalty box.
Both teams were scoreless at first intermission.
The Coyotes then added a pair of goals in the second period, including Shane Doan's 100th career power play goal, which put the team up 2-0.
Then, despite failing to get as many shots on goal as their opponent, the Coyotes added their third goal of the game early in the final period, on a Kyle Chipchura shot.
The Kings' only goal came on a power play with only a few minutes remaining in regulation. Goalie Mike Smith, meanwhile, reversed his own personal fortunes, saving 41 of the Kings' 42 shots on goal after lasting just one period last week in Los Angeles.
Mike Smith's performance was incredible, given his struggles against the Kings just a few days ago. The goalie made several difficult saves throughout the game, only allowing a goal on a late Kings' power play.
The Coyotes enforced their will Tuesday versus the Kings, taking early penalties and dominating the boards, but a late Zbynek Michalek penalty was unnecessary with a 3-0 lead and ultimately cost Mike Smith his shutout via the Kings' powerplay.
-Mike Smith's 41 saves were his second-most all season, making Tuesday's performance his best of the year, as he has only once in the season's previous 11 games allowed just one goal.
-Shane Doan logged his 100th career power play goal in the 2nd period.
The Coyotes face the Nashville Predators Thursday, on Halloween night, at Jobing.com Arena. The puck drops at 7:00 p.m. MDT and the game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620 AM.
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday March 5Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses Tuesday night's win over the Canucks.
- Don Maloney, Coyotes GM - Wednesday March 5Don Maloney discusses the NHL trade deadline with Dan and Vince.
- Anthony LeBlanc, Co-Owner, President & CEO Phoenix Coyotes - Tuesday March 4Are the Coyotes trying to make a move?
- Bickley Blast - Monday March 3Dan Bickley says the Suns and Coyotes are experiencing a complete role reversal.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!