Updated Nov 8, 2013 - 4:03 pm
Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan: Turnovers have been the issue in losses
The Coyotes are averaging just over nine giveaways in their six losses this season, and captain Shane Doan said coach Dave Tippett has been stressing improvement in that area recently.
"He gets on us just about taking care of the puck," Doan told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday.
Doan noted the team's style of play requires strong puck control, but sometimes it can be a double-edged sword.
"As a team, we're getting more and more into a team that plays with the puck, and when you do that, there's going to be nights where it gets away with you," Doan added. "When we're playing well, we play with the puck."
In particular, Doan said it starts with the team's defensemen, as they set the tone for offensive attacks.
"Our blue-line holds onto it and makes teams chase," Doan said. "Our blue-line is as good as any team in the league at spreading the other teams out and making the puck work. But when we struggle, it's because we're making bad decisions with the puck and we're giving them free opportunities."
In three goal loss to the Ducks, Doan fell victim to the turnover bug himself, and said despite his first period goal, he was not at all pleased with his performance.
"That's as bad as I've played personally, letting my emotions get away and giving the puck away on the first goal," Doan said.
- Off the Ice: Taking a look back at the 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes
- NHL insider Barry Melrose surprised Phoenix Coyotes didn't make playoffs
- 2013-14 Phoenix Coyotes: By The Numbers
- Coyotes center Mike Ribeiro looking to move forward after 'one of the worst' seasons of his career
- Coyotes fall flat late under new owners
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes Head Coach - Thursday April 17Dave Tippet reacts to season and gives his prediction for the NHL Playoffs.
- Barry Melrose, ESPN NHL analyst - Tuesday April 15ESPN NHL analyst Barry Melrose talks about the Coyotes' collapse.
- Dave Tippett, Coyotes head coach - Friday April 11Dave Tippett talks about the Coyotes' six-game losing streak.
- George Gosbee, Co-Owner of the Phoenix Coyotes - Thursday April 10Should hockey make changes to its overtime rules?
- Shane Doan, Coyotes captain - Wednesday April 9Coyotes captain Shane Doan discusses the team's recent five-game losing streak.