Updated Nov 14, 2013 - 1:34 pm
'Yotes Notes: Coyotes' Ekman-Larsson nets goal early into overtime to defeat Blues
It took an Oliver Ekman-Larsson rocket 56 seconds into the extra period to defeat the St. Louis Blues 3-2 at the Scottrade Center.
After St. Louis' Maxim Lapierre netted the first score of the game, the Coyotes scored two goals in the opening period, including a Mikkel Boedker's fourth of the year, but Phoenix did not score again until Ekman-Larsson's game winner.
The Coyotes pulled off the win despite getting a whopping 20 fewer shots on goal (19) than the Blues (39).
St. Louis fell to 11-2-3 with the overtime loss, and the Coyotes improved to 13-4-2.
Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith had a strong showing, stopping 37 shots for a save percentage of 94.5.
Mike Ribeiro got an assist on David Moss's goal in the first period and again on Ekman-Larsson's shot in overtime. Ekman-Larsson also had an assist, his 10th of the year, on Moss's goal.
Moss's goal was his first of the season, and his first since April 10.
Phoenix's efficient shooting left Blues goalie Jaroslav Halak with a save percentage of 84.2 on the evening.
The Blues' suffocating defense only allowed the Coyotes to get 19 shots on goal, including a measly 3 in the third period.
Both teams only had one power play opportunity apiece, and neither was able to convert.
The Coyotes could not get a shot in the net in the final two periods. Both teams went scoreless in the second.
- Phoenix went to overtime for the fifth time in six games.
- The Coyotes have only lost twice (once in a shootout) in seven overtime appearances this season.
- The Coyotes won their second straight game, and have won seven of their last eight contests.
- With the win Tuesday, Phoenix is only three points behind Anaheim for first place in the Pacific Division.
The Coyotes travel farther east to play the Chicago Blackhawks at the United Center on Thursday. The puck drops at 5:00 p.m. MST. Chicago stands at 12-2-4 and is tied for first in the Central Division. Tune in to KMVP 860 AM to hear the action.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Max Domi, Arizona Coyotes prospect - Thursday July 10Prospect Max Domi talks about the possibility of making the Coyotes roster.
- Who Impressed Who Depressed - Monday June 30The Arizona Rattlers disappointed Vince over the weekend. Luke is impressed by Don Maloney and the C
- Sam Gagner, Arizona Coyotes center - Monday June 30New Coyotes center Sam Gagner thinks he’s a perfect fit with Arizona.
- Brendan Perlini, Newest Arizona Coyote - Friday June 27Brendan Perlini talks about what it is like to get drafted by the Arizona Coyotes.